[openbeos] Re: Haiku vs Haiku-OS [was: Re: Ruby+GTK2 for Haiku?]

  • From: "Andrew McCall" <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:36:47 +0000

On 16/02/07, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>... to eventually be supported on Haiku-OS...

This is going to sound really pedantic, but the project and the OS are simply
called "Haiku". To me it makes quite a big difference - "Haiku" seems like an
elegant, flowing sort of a word, but append "oh ess" and the geekiness factor
ramps up by a few orders of magnitude.

Not that my opinion is worth much, but I totally agree with you.

The website has the -os simply because Haiku.org is unavailable. Is there not
someone we can apply to in order to be granted www.haiku.org? Now Haiku
Inc is an official non-profit it seems to me we have a much better claim to it
that
the advertiser parked there at the moment.

I think there are some rules about this, but it would probably have to
go to court and I have a feeling we would loose for a few reasons
(obligatory IANAL) :

Haiku.org was registered on 24-Apr-2002, well before OpenBeOS was know as Haiku

Haiku isn't a trademark (I don't even know if we could get a trademark
for Haiku)

The website isn't miss-leading the visitor to a competing product

What the owner of Haiku.org is doing is perfectly legal and he has a
right to do it, I don't really agree with it, but thats another
issues.  Would it not be easier contacting the owner and explaining
the situation and asking if we could buy it for a nominal fee, and/or
putting one of those "dead-bolt" things on so as soon as the domain
expires we grab it?

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall