[haiku] Re: Haiku for Raspberry Pi?

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:43:21 +0100

Very nice looking project, thanks for the link. I'll definitely be getting one for that price.

A Haiku ARM port has been discussed a bit, had some work done on it (was the subject of one of the less successful GSoCs) but I suspect it's probably still quite some way from working. Not sure what Broadcom are like for open-source drivers (wouldn't have thought those SoCs support VESA or anything) but would be fun to play with it all the same.

Simon

On 04/09/11 18:04, Brian Hague wrote:
I'm all for it... Iirc there was a lot of talk on an arm port.

Alphaseinor

Sent from my Palm Pre on the Now Network from Sprint

On Sep 4, 2011 11:58 AM, Miroslav Stimac <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I had been thinking about the soon coming Raspberry Pi.
For those khow do not know it:
It is a PC that costs only 25 to 35 USD (depending on the version).
Please take a look here: www.raspberrypi.org

The Raspberry Pi is based on an ARM 11 CPU and a powerful GPU: the
Broadcom BCM2835 media procesor system-on-chip.
http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard#Components

My opinion is that Haiku would be a great operating system for the
Raspberry Pi. Haiku boots fast, is fast, free and easy to use.
Furthermore, Haiku does not need much space to be installed on a hard
drive or an other storage device. The Raspberry Pi has not much RAM
(only 128 or 256 MB, depending on the version) and only an SD card slot
instead of a hard drive. It is meant to be used for multimedia (it
supports full hd video playback) and for people who do not have much
money to buy a normal PC, for example people in Africa.
Haiku is free and open source and therefore wonderful for such a low
cost PC as the Raspberry Pi.

How about to get Haiku running on the Raspberry Pi?
What do you think?
Would it be difficult to make Haiku compatible to Raspberry Pi?
As I know, Haiku is planned to be ported to ARM. If so, perhaps the
Raspberry Pi would be a great PC for Haiku.

Best wishes,
Miroslav Stimac