[haiku] Re: Haiku User Guide

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:37:01 +0200

Sorry for this very belated reply...

Andrea wrote:
Guys, let's calm down. In our small italian user group we have
repeatedly tried to translate the documents, but we have realized it's
really hard to stay synchronized using SVN.

The site http://guide.haikuzone.net looks very interesting, and,
personally, I will try to keep an updated italian section (as soon as
they'll activate my account).

I'm not sure this site currently provides what's needed. For the moment, as Koki said, it's on hold until someone wants to work on it and has a plan to address its shortcomings.

Casalinuovo Dario wrote:
> maybe a wiki system can be more simple than the drupal site.

There's a fundamental thing neither the current drupal nor a wiki site provides: A method to keep all the different languages up to date.

* I imagine a system where you have versioned English "mother" pages.
* A translator then comes along and checks out one of these versioned pages for his language. After that, the page is taken and cannot be checked out by anyone else. If anyone wants to help with that particular page, he'll have to contact the person that got the page and discuss things with him. * When the translation is done, the page is checked in again. While checking in, the versions are compared once more. If the English "mother" version has changed meanwhile, a diff to the originally checked out English version is provided and the translator is asked to incorporate these additional changes. * We may put a lector (one for each language) between check-in and eventual publishing to look for errors in writing and formatting. * Regularly all these HTML pages are played out to SVN. I say, we keep the current HTML formatted pages for the time being unless someone wants to go to the trouble to provide a web-based editor doing all the formatting.

The system relies on quick turn-around times: You can't check out a bunch of pages and then disappear for a month. At worst the lector/language-admin will contact the translator and after a quick but ruthless verbal combat detract the checked-out page again. :)

Of course, this would be a custom system someone knowledgeable has to code
first...

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de