[haiku] Re: Haiku PowerPC builds

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:37:40 +0200 CEST

"François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's been a while since I've tried it. When
> > i tried it a few months ago the boot loader
> > for Haiku PPC comes up and sees Haiku
> > partitions.  It will load the kernel and
> > output debug data to the screen... but thats
> > about it.
>
> Well here it doesn't, neither in QEMU or on real
> but OldWorld macs. I think the OF in QEMU tries
> to start it without page tables set.

I tried Alex's tracks on a PPC Mac Mini (the 1.42GHz
version) unsuccessfully.

I made a CD with the iso-track, another CD with both
tracks, and also wrote the haiku image to a USB stick
as suggested. On boot I pressed C and D on the USB-
connected keyboard. (Not knowing if bluetooth works
that early.) I think I could hear it trying to boot
off the CD, but I'm not certain. Shortly thereafter
it would boot OSX without any sign of Haiku on screen.

(FWIW, selecting the CD as a startup disk in MacOS X
preferences "Startup Disk" was not possible. Not sure
if MacOS X would list any bootable CD, but it does
list its own Install disk if you have it in the drive.)

/Jonas.