[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Expressing our appreciation

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:19:47 -0500

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They aren't what we need for webkit actually.
> We don't need everyone building haiku to also build webkit, which is bigger
> than our whole codebase...

This has always been a big concern of mine since as you say the WebKit
repo is huge. I don't think we need to have our own WebKit repo long
term, and I definitely don't think anyone but people working on the
WebKit port should need to build it. The only reason we need that now
is that we are in a bit of a transition period in cleaning up and
improving the port before putting the code in the official WebKit
repo.

Long term I believe the plan is to have a build time optional package
dependency on WebKit libraries (like the current one for OpenSSL), or
even just a stubbed out libwebkit.so (since that is the only thing
WebPositive should talk to directly.) The WebPositive source will be
moved into our SVN repo like any other included application, and the
WebKit optional package will need to be required when putting
WebPositive on an image. If someone wants to work on WebKit itself
they can check that out separately, and any browser features should
not require changes to WebKit (in the very long term, once our WebKit
API is well established.)

But for now it is easiest for Stephan and the rest of us to work from
Michael's server and our own WebKit SVN repo.

--
Regards,
Ryan