[openbeos] Re: Haiku Icon set ...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:09:04 +0100 CET

John Drinkwater <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I completely understand the decision for HVI, it would make no sense
> to store SVG in a file's attr.
> But lets not forget there is only one use for HVI: as a
> quicker-loading and better-compressed binary version of a vector
> graphic.

You forget better looking :-)

> I'm raising the point, because I think everyone failed to see
> Begasus' regarding "interoperability".
> Begasus is hoping he can bring his SVGs onto Haiku, and that can be
> done already via importing, but he cant import something without
> needing to dig around in Icon-o-matic. He also can't export a HVI
> (via SVG) without losing something in the process.
>
> If he could happily create an SVG on any platform or application of
> choice, add the custom zoom info, then one can make a full HVI
> without needing Haiku & Icon-O-Matic.

Sure, it would be nice to have HVI export/import modules for "foreign"
software and a translator for Haiku as well - and at least the latter
will definitely appear at some point, maybe the former as well.
OTOH if someone wants to do icons for Haiku, I don't see the real
problem: he can still use his favourite tool to create the icons.
I fail to see why FileTypes could not support dropping SVG (or PNG)
icons on files. That it doesn't support it yet shouldn't be surprising,
though.

Anyway, if you're really interested in making icons for Haiku, you
should also be aware of the platform requirements - and that makes fine
tuning the icon with Icon-O-Matic something potential users will ask
you for.

> We'll find artists that join Haiku are happier with their own tools
> (even Wonderbrush) for creating these things, why not help them?

What more could we possibly do (besides the options I mentioned above)?
To make the best ouf of the icon format, you actually need software
that supports its feature set, and you just can't expect this to find
in any general drawing application.

Bye,
   Axel.