[openbeos] Re: Haiku Icon set ...

  • From: Thomas Winwood <ketsuban@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:44:39 +0000

Begasus wrote:
Well I for one still think it's strange to change the whole icon feel in Haiku ...

I had my doubts, but I guess you could say the current theme has grown on me. I don't know to what extent zuMi's theme added to or supplemented stippi's, but the result is definitely pleasing to the eye.

Most of you know that I'm working on a Icon Theme (based on an existing ubuntu SVG icon them 'Human' for ZETA) ... when switching to a differant icon format I think you made it pretty hard for people to work with Themes to change the existing one ...

I don't understand the problem you're having here - Icon-o-Matic can import SVGs and save as HVI icons.

There is no standard format that can be used in Haiku (SVG) so that makes it even harder for people working on Theming for Haiku ...

HVI isn't a standard format? Could have fooled me.

The point I'm making is .. who/how can someone create a iconset for Haiku in the future ..... (if not for some knowlidge in C++ etc) ... If you know how to change stuff (icons) in ZETA it's fairly easy to change the whole UI ... my point is ... how will this be done in Haiku in the future? (pre R1)

Changing icons in Haiku will (I guess) ultimately be as easy as it was in R5 - open the file/application/whatever in FileTypes and doubleclick on the icon, and it will open an instance of Icon-o-Matic to change the icon.

I don't disagree that creating vector icons seems to require a little more technical savvy-ness than editing a bitmap icon, but I don't think the change will be that difficult a change to adjust to.