[haiku] Re: HVIF Wikipedia Page

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:40:59 +0100

Hi,

Am 04.01.2011 12:27, schrieb Humdinger:
Aras Ergus, on Tue, 4 Jan 2011 06:49:08 +0200:
I have been working on a Wikipedia article [0] for Haiku Vector Icon
Format
as a Google Code-In task [1].

Looks pretty good!

Indeed.

> Can't say much on the technical details, maybe
Stippi has things to add/correct.

Looks correct. One change I introduced in a later version is to use multi-pass rendering in certain situations involving transparency in styles. The previous single pass rendering is broken down into sequences of single pass rendering until the next shape uses transparency somewhere in it's style, which allows for certain compositing effects.

> All HVIF files start with "IMSG", don't
know if that's the "magic" in the infobox thing.

This is incorrect, Icon-O-Matic has its own native file format and IMSG is the four byte magic value for those (icon BMessage archive). Little endian 'ficn' (flat icon) is used for HVIF data. It should show up as 'ncif' in a hex editor, but I haven't made sure of this for the purpose of this mail.

You could add a link to zuMi's icon site
http://zumi.xoom.it/myhaiku/system/index.html
for some examples. Maybe also to the user guide page on Icon-O-Matic
http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/applications/icon-o-matic.html,
as that would illustrate a bit the concepts of path, shape and style.

Those would be nice references indeed.

Best regards,
-Stephan