[openbeos] GoBe, BeOS and the Indian Connection

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:02:05 -0800

Hello Haiku fans,

I am sure many of you have read by now the news about an Indian business distributing the GoBe Productive office suite and also being in negotiations to purchase the BeOS (if you haven't, head over to http://osnews.com/story/19195/GoBE_Productive_To_Buy_BeOS_). There's been quite a bit of speculation about this news, and what it may mean to Haiku. Instead of speculating, we have gone directly to the source, and we'll share what we have found out so far.

We have been able to confirm the first part of the news. Bruce Hammond of Gobe Software confirms that Blue Lotus Software Solutions Pvt Ltd. (BLG) is distributing GoBe Productive in India and soon other places as well. In his email, Bruce also mentions that he "would love to see gobeProductive (v3) on Haiku" (I am quoting him here). In our exchange, we have briefly initiated a discussion to see if there is any way that GP3 can be brought to the Haiku platform in the future. Please, do not take this as a commitment of any kind from anyone, but rather as a joint pursuit to explore the possibility of creating the conditions for Gobe Software to be able to realize their wish to bring their software back to our platform.

With regards to the second part of the news -- that BLG is negotiating the purchase of the BeOS -- at this point we can only say that we have made initial contact with the company to find out whether this report is accurate or not. We are trying to understand what is actually happening, in order to figure out what repercussions, if any, it could have on our project and OS. We are also taking this as an opportunity to make BLG aware of Haiku and its potential, in the hope that there may be a possibility of BLG using Haiku as the base for their products in the future.

This is it for now; we wanted to reassure the community that we are not just watching these developments from the sideline, but that we are proactively seeking potential opportunities that may be positive for Haiku. We are not sure what will pan out from this, but we will keep you posted on any new developments as they become available to us and we are in a position to disclose them.

Jorge Mare, on behalf of the Haiku Team