[openbeos] Re: GUI, scripting, etc

  • From: jat313s <jat313s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:36:57 -0500

Just to put in my 2 US Cents, I am very new to programming.  In fact the only
languages I know are BASIC and a little VisualBASIC.  I am starting to learn
Python for an experiment I am doing.  I would like to see the ability to take
advantage of OBOS GUI APIs in Python.  My problem is that, to my
understanding,  BeOS is the easiest platform to program on, but you have to
use C++ in order to take advantage of all of its features.  This is great if
you learned to program on another OS and then start programming for BeOS.  As
for me, a BeOS addict, I would I would rather learn on BeOS.

Is there a way we could modify (add modules or procedures) or come up with a
way to allow several scripting languages access all of the APIs.  As far as an
official scripting language, I don't see why OBOS can't include several
scripting languages with the distribution, like Rexx, Python, PERL, gawk, sed,
ect. like Linux does.

James Thurman
Student of Business
Southwest Missouri State University