[openbeos] Re: GUI, scripting, etc

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:45:20 -0400

NOOOOO!!! Not the scripting wars! :-)
For those who don't remember, there was a ... I think month long conversations
running back and forth on BeDevTalk back in the 90's about this.
The Be Line (which I happened to agree with) was that including a scripting
language
doesn't make sense. Why?
1) Picking one rules out others. You like Python. Cool. Others like ARexx.
Others like other things.
2) The Scripting API allows you to use many different scripting languages.
Personally, I think that this might be the coolest piece of all. You like
Python? I like AWK. We can write for each other's apps, if they are scriptable.
3) No matter which one you choose, someone will be unhappy.

Personally, I think that Be was wise to be scripting language agnostic.
OTOH, distros of OBOS could include any, all or no scripting languages.