[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Services Kit

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:51:13 -0400

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 07:34, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 07:18, Christophe Huriaux <c.huriaux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>  Additionally, I read the overview of the IMKit and understood how it
>> is implemented : it handle all the IM connections through a server and
>> the forward events to connected applications. IMHO, the Services Kit
>> would not need a single application grouping all the services stuff,
>> as it doesn't need persistent connections to web services, this is why
>> I'm thinking of multiple applications using multiple add-ons (each of
>> them providing unique stuff for each web services), based on the "raw"
>> Services API which gather the low level client part of web services,
>> such as forging SOAP or REST request and decoding the responses,
>> encoding/decoding URL, ...
>
> The point in using add-ons is to allow the app to use the service kit
> regardless of the service that's actually used in the end. For example, you
> could make a blog post in an app without having to know if it's going to be
> posted in skyblog or blogspot or somewhere else. Picture storing and
> pastewall services are examples of services that are available at multiple
> places.
>
>>  A server could be used to save various user account informations
>> (login, password and so on) required to authenticate the user on the
>> various services implemented, but I don't now if it would really be
>> useful.
>
> I don't think you need a server for that. A "roster" class can do it.
> Basically, it's a static class living in a library, that provides a
> convenient starting point to get various information available in this
> library. See
> http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/xref/headers/os/locale/LocaleRoster.h for
> an example of such a class (handling the internationalization stuff in
> haiku). There are some others in the others kits in Haiku.
>
> Such a class is needed to know which add-on you are going to instanciate.
> For example, let's imagine an app that would send some text to a pastewall
> service. The process would be :
>
>  * Start the app
>  * Request the WebServiceRoster to see if there is an available pastewall
> service with a known login
>  * Get the addon allowing to post to this service (let's say PastebinAddOn)
>  * Give the text to paste and eventually the settings to the add on
>  * Let the add on submit all the stuff to the website and give us the url
>  * Display the url, add it to the clipboard, and let the user exit the app
>
> This is quite a simple sequence, I guess one may want more complex services
> for uploading a gallery of pictures to Picasa along with comments and
> everything... but let's start simple :)

This was some older text I found from last year ... hopefully it adds
to the overall picture
=-=-=-=
Basically the first thing to do is get a library to use http, ftp,
etc... Similar in concept to Qt's QHttp, QFtp classes. Then a json
parser is needed, but in the short-term a xml parser could be used.
Ideally a XML Kit and a JSON kit would be created, again Qt's QJson
could be some inspiration. After that you have the base stuff to start
the work.

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/GSoC-Web-Services-Kit-OS-integration

--mmadia