[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Services Kit

  • From: Christophe Huriaux <c.huriaux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:18:39 +0200

Sorry for this delayed answer, I had some Internet problems this week-end ..

I took a look at the "Haiku Book" and the "Be Book", to have an idea
of how Kits are usually implemented in Haiku, it seems to be pretty
free !

Despite my few searches, I don't really understand the differences
between add-ons and replicants. From what I understood, add-ons would
be (for example) sharing the same API to offer the same
functionalities but based on different services, while an replicant
would be a resident application waiting for an application to need it
? (like an ActiveX in MS Windows).

 Additionally, I read the overview of the IMKit and understood how it
is implemented : it handle all the IM connections through a server and
the forward events to connected applications. IMHO, the Services Kit
would not need a single application grouping all the services stuff,
as it doesn't need persistent connections to web services, this is why
I'm thinking of multiple applications using multiple add-ons (each of
them providing unique stuff for each web services), based on the "raw"
Services API which gather the low level client part of web services,
such as forging SOAP or REST request and decoding the responses,
encoding/decoding URL, ...
 A server could be used to save various user account informations
(login, password and so on) required to authenticate the user on the
various services implemented, but I don't now if it would really be
useful.
--
Christophe Huriaux