[haiku] Re: GSoC - Drivers on TTY Layer

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:29:49 +0100 CET

Le Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:08:53 +0100, Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> Tran Hoang Ha <nova281182@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would like to apply for GSoC with project Drivers on TTY layer.
> >
> > Honestly, I am new with Haiku and it kernel as well. However, I
> > have
> > some experiences with Linux device drivers.
> >
> > May I ask some question about this drivers project.
> > Are there any difference between develop a driver for Haiku with
> > other kernels.
> > It is best for me if I have some tutorials for drivers develop on
> > Haiku.
> > Could I have some clearer requirements for this project.
>
> If you already have Linux driver experiences, you'll see that writing
> drivers for Haiku isn't quite that hard.
> In any case, this legacy document might give you the necessary
> introduction:
> http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/bebook/DeviceDrivers.html
>
> In general, I'm not sure what kind of driver you are aiming for. If
> you
> are interested in refactoring our TTY layer to be a module usable by
> other drivers (such as serial USB drivers, etc.), that would
> certainly
> be a worthwhile project.

Indeed, it shouldn't be too hard to take the current tty driver to make
a module out of it, compatible with the BeOS tty module. Though it
might be more interesting to convert the serial (pci and usb) drivers
to the pnp stack, and write the tty layer as a consumer for the nodes
published by those drivers, and producer for devfs.

François.