[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:33:23 +0100

On 2009-01-20 at 04:18:05 [+0100], Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > This heavily depends on the FS you're using in Linux, though. The last
> > time
> > I tested ReiserFS 3.6 totally beat the heck out of BFS. The comparison
> > between Linux and Haiku is not very fair, since Linux is generally more
> > optimized and faster, but one can do the test in Haiku (at least an "svn
> > stat"). IIRC, the measurements indicated ReiserFS to be almost twice as
> > fast as BFS.
> >
> > Interestingly the results of a second (i.e. cached) run were very much in
> > favor for BFS. Might be file vs. block cache related or our BFS
> > implementation is just faster than that of ReiserFS.
>
> reiserfs has a big kernel lock

IIRC it only has a lock around the block cache (which is a bit of legacy
from working around a BeOS block cache problem) and is otherwise lock-free
(a perk of a read-only implementation). Hence, when everything is cached,
this shouldn't have much effect. Besides the test was completely
single-threaded, so locking can't really be a problem.

CU, Ingo