[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:03:33 +0000

Michael Phipps wrote:
Very interesting, but I would be interested to see if the value in the
compression on a IA device would be as great on a desktop; it might be, but I
can't see for sure.
In the RC I had of BeIA 1.0 (never played with 2.0 as it wasn't in the dev kit I got with my Dt300), there was an odd bug that stopped the makecfs from creating a partition greater than (IIRC) 128MB, though it might have been 64MB. Having said that, I ran a BeIA instance happily by using the "Desktop" image that was floating about (part of the dev kit "most" people had access to, it seemed) as a basis. It ran on a Compaq Deskpro with 450MHz P2 and something like 128MB RAM. You could boot in to the Desktop and run quite a lot of apps from R4.5 under BeIA (as the libs in BeIA were similar to the libs found in R4.5.) The only issue was that the system was "all or nothing". Either "all" the executables were crushed (compressed) or they were not. I believe this was to do with the kernel elf loader only targeting one of the two scenarios at a time.

The bootloader graphics were different too, though the Desktop build used the one from R4.5. The tablet version was completely different.

Was cool, but it's obviously off topic, so I'll shut up :-)