[haiku] Re: GRRR! [was: Re: Man]

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:06:16 +0200

On 2010-08-31 at 00:29:07 [+0200], Chris Roberts <cpr420@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > could you all please step back down from your own personal soapbox?
> >
> > I have asked a simple question: which format should we use for
> > console-based documentation?
> >
> > It is rather obvious that once we have decided about the format, we will
> > make sure to provide a console-based application that can actually *show*
> > the info [and yes, in a bloody console!].
>

> So are you planning to rewrite the integration with other programs
> like zsh, emacs, and others?  It's not just about running some tool in
> a console and seeing some text, there are other programs that depend
> on having this.

Well, if they depend on it, then we can just declare so in the package (once
we have those), such that the "real man" port is being dragged along.
But the potential (in-)compatibility with all those great/useful/weird man
integrations should not at all influence the decision about which default
console documentation viewer we are providing.

But since you're asking, I have indeed planned to write a man frontend, which
does the searching for appropriate documentation, yes. Not that this would
yield anything useful in one of the described environments, I suppose, but it
should make it possible to type 'man ls', 'man strftime' and 'man gcc' and
get some meaningful result (displayed by either console-browser or
GUI-browser).

cheers,
        Oliver