[openbeos] Re: Fat muesli-induced troll - Was: Locale Kit

My point was that neither English nor German is one of the native Northern
American languages.
BTW: Immediately before the vote was taken, what language were they all
speaking ?

| English is chockfull with idiosyncrasies that don't make
| sense to anyone; even words where only the first letter is
| different are pronounced differently. It's "pear" [pâr] but
| "fear" [fîr].
Yes, but 'pare' and 'fare' rhyme as do 'pair' and 'fair'. Two out of three
ain't bad !
What else would you reasonably expect from a language which has evolved to
adsorb many immigrant words into its vocabulary ?
Just because those language 'features' don't make sense to your limited
comprehension doesn't mean that they are senseless.

| At least the Latin languages have accents,
| so even the average Anglo-Saxon lowlife can see right away
| how the stuff is pronounced. Impossible with English.
Those accents just seem to confuse the situation !
Those strange little marks above and below some letters just make it more
complicated.
Why not just learn how a word is spelt and how it is pronounced ?
Twenty-six letters of the alphabet are quite sufficient.

| It's ex'ecutive but 'execute. Oh Herr, schmeiss Hirn vom
| Himmel! ;-P
This is because English is basically spoken in a waltz (3/4) rhythm. Words of
four syllables tend to have the first syllable emphasised and the middle ones
quickened. Many other languages are spoken in march (2/4) or common (4/4) time.
Japanese and Korean are in common (4/4) time, whereas the Indian and African
languages don't seem to have much discernable rhythm at all.

| Although I wholeheartedly agree that English is 'the'
| language of international commerce and the Net, it's also
| part of the world's downfall, because it's just this that
| gives the Yanks and Brits this totally undeserved air of
| superiority which they use to (usually) colonize and
| imperialise those parts of the world that are way deeper
| steeped in culture and history then them. IOW, using English
| as the "main" language is just as good as us using MS
| Windows. Any further questions?
Listening to the way the Americans mangle the English language shows that they
have no reason to feel superior.

| What now? Let's all speak Afrikaans! Dead simple, nothing
| ambiguous. 35+ million natives down here can speak it, and
| if THEY can, there's even hope for the language-impaired
| Yank or Brit to learn/understand it. ;)) Methinks that
| before they expect others to speak their language, maybe
| they should learn it themselves first. This would definitely
| have it's advantages! (*) ROTFLMAO!
Are you suggesting that Afrikaans is easy to learn ?

| I'll now don my flame suit - just in case - and promise to
| write in German next time. LOL
Why German - so that fewer people can understand you ?

| Have a peaceful festive season.
Right !  The festering season is over now so let's get back to the healthy
discussions.
Kevin.