[openbeos] Re: [FAQ] FAQ #1: CFS and Haiku's new scheduler comparison

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:06:10 +0200

Am 11.06.2007 um 20:29 schrieb André Braga:

The most frequently asked question is, *SHOCK SURPRISE*, how does my
proposed scheduler compares with the Completely Fair Scheduler
recently introduced on Linux. Or, how one of the anonymous (hey, you
could come out and say your name if you feel comfortable with that!)
put it:

"note, I didn't read your mail, so I don't know how well your
scheduler would work for us. Also, I don't know anything about
schedulers. I just wanted to ask, what do you think about the
Completely Fair Scheduler (CFS)? Do you think your scheduler
suggestion will run comparably well on a desktop system? Personally, I
wouldn't mind having the CFS reimplemented for Haiku if it's the best
solution. Since you want to drop your first scheduler design I thought
it might be worth asking about existing solutions."

With comments like that I can understand why the poster wished to remain anonymous! Linux's scheduling and desire to be all things to all people is one of its bigger problems.

Thank you André for a very informative paper. We don't have a heap of coders out there ready, willing and desperate to reinvent the wheel at every passing programming fad so we need research based development.

+1 for Minix
+1 for Tanenbaum
+1 for microkernel

Charlie