[openbeos] Re: Driver support...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 20:46:01 +0200 CEST

Marco Zanon <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> as I said to Michael privately, when OBOS will be beta it should
> be good to "convince" some developers to help and join the
> project with their drivers,
> I'm talking about people who published their works on BeBits.com
> (e.g: the Realtek 8139, some ATI stuff, an Epson Stylus Color
> driver, etc.),

Sure, some of these drivers would be cool to have! About the ATI stuff,
Thomas Kurschel is already in our team (the author of the ATI Radeon
driver) :-)

> by doing so we would increase the number of developers into OBOS
> and a lot of work would be immediately done (on the other hand,
> as far as I understood, it should not be too difficult for them
> to port their work from BeOS to OBOS, right?),

There is no need to port them over - they will just work out of the
box, even without any recompilation.

> p.s.: sorry for the silly question, but: is a driver *completely*
> frontend independent? does writing an OBOS driver (for, let's
> say, a camera) require to know in advance which program will be
> used (BeCamera or another)?

Depends on what you're doing :-)
If you would only need read/write functions from a driver, it would be
"frontend independent". But the standard approach is that every driver
type defines a certain interface; all networking drivers share one
interface, etc.
But if you write a driver specifically for one application, you can use
whatever interface you want to.

Adios...
   Axel.