[openbeos] Re: Driver Tutorial

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:40:03 +0200 CEST

"Mathew Schofield" <mr.skoe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The new driver API is not yet finalized, and you shouldn't use it
> > for
> > now until you write drivers that need additional functionality like
> > IDE
> > /SCSI driver and the USB stack. There probably might not be any big
> > changes anymore, but there certainly will be changes in several
> > areas
> > including virtual vs. physical memory, driver loading/
> > initialization,
> > called from kernel vs. called from userland.
> Do you mean changing the Haiku Driver Model for R1? Or are you just
> talking down the track?

It's not yet finalized for R1, and I wouldn't assume it to be stable at
the time of R1 either. I don't think we'll advertize it before R1 for
standard drivers; it needs much more testing and drivers in a wider
area before we can be sure it's adequate. I also want to put some more
features into it before finalizing it.

Bye,
   Axel.