[openbeos] Re: Driver Tutorial

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:49:33 -0700

On 9/17/06, Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, > Maybe someone can gather up all the tutorials and sample drivers they > can locate, and post them all in a single location (on the Haiku site > maybe?) so that someone wishing to experiment with driver-writing has > plenty of information that is easy to browse and locate.

May be you? I don't think that having all those BeOS-related scrap on
Haiku's site will give us an army of driver developers. :-) Good, up to
date "sample" drivers are already in Haiku's SVN. They are available for
everyone. The "tutorial" was already published in one of first
Newsletters. Anyway, 90% of drivers programming is the dealing with
hardware specifics and limitations, debugging, tracing and thinking.

I am most certainly not qualified (yet) :D - and I'm not predicting an army
of developers, only that we may see more people taking the initiative to
write a driver.  Right now, I think many developers consider
driver-development to be a "voodoo art" - at least, that was my impression
until recently.  When browsing through sample drivers, and how-tos you start
to realize it's not all that complicated.  and you're correct, much of the
work ends up being device-specific.

The problem with the "sample drivers" in the Haiku repo is that they all
differ pretty significantly from one-another - yet many of them have very
similar code just written differently by each developer.  This is somewhat
disorienting and confusing for someone coming into it fresh.  A truly
well-organized sample driver for each device class could be a very useful
thing.  Documentation around sections that are device-specific vs. sections
that are "generic" code would help identify what parts to change, and what
parts to leave. Be's sample drivers have some of this, but I feel they are
pretty dated now.

You
propose to write a very dick book about Haiku kernel programming before
the Haiku's first Alpha version is published. As Russians say: You put
the Waggon before the Horse. :-)

Possibly, but then: I don't know what I don't know yet. Maybe it's best to go and experiment with other mature OSes (Linux/FreeBSD?) and learn - but I can't see how that would be productive.

Thanks for the response though :) - and I just realized your sis7018 driver
in in the Haiku repo - I want to test that out on one of my machines :D