[openbeos] Re: Driver Tutorial

  • From: "Chris Peel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:38:48 +0100

[snip]

> If you provide developers with excellent tutorials, they will
> come. I'm thinking more along the lines of:
> - A Tutorial on How the Graphics Driver is put together (E.g.
> like Rudolfs one).

Yes please!

> - A Tutorial on How Network Hardware works (E.g. Keywords
> like PHY, MAC, MII, etc).

Ditto

> - A Tutorial on How Sound Drivers are put together

Fantastic!

> - A Basic tutorial on Registers, IO Space,
> ISA/PCI/AGP/PCI-E/USB Bus Interfaces, ... etc. etc.

See above ;)

Seriously, any or all of the abvoe would be superb - now that I've got
Bruno's "MyFirstDeviceDriver" up and running (and I even made a couple of
modifications to the test app) I'm looking at understanding things like
walking the PCI and ISA buses to see how they work.  A quick tutorial in any
of this would be brilliant.

I don't consider myself thick (I used to write floppy disk loaders for Amiga
demos); it's just that things have moved on significantly since 1994 and I
never really 'got' the x86 architecture (always consider M68K much more
logical) so I just need a little nudge now and again and a quick tutorial
always helps.  Added to this I hope to give something back to the Haiku
community (besides drivers of course) with some Drivers For Noobs-style
tutorials of my own eventually.

Cheers

Chris