[haiku] Developing for Haiku

  • From: Damien Gerard <milipili@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 23:04:06 +0200

Hi !

I am really new to haiku and I would like to give it its change :)
In a first sight, it looks like really interesting so I would like to go deeper.

Actually we are developing a C++ multi-platform library and it would be fun to make it work with haiku too, if it is possible (for now, multi-platform means OSX,Linux,Windows and FreeBSD, http://trac.libyuni.org ). This library is mostly dedicated to 3D applications but it has several modules. The library is not mature yet but a few project already use it.
The minimal requirements are >=g++3.4.x, cmake 2.6.4, svn.

I've already a working VMWare Fusion Disk image for Haiku (with Internet connection, you have to change the ethernet device and to use the RAW HD image) and I have downloaded the PDF "Programming the Be Operating System".

As I am new to this OS, I would like to ask you :
- Is this documentation sufficient and appropriate for my purposes ?
- Do I have to recompile by myself all the needed packages (especially for gcc) or there is a package manager that I should use ? - Has haiku a minimal support for OpenGL ? (it seems that a libGL.so is available according to the 'locate' command)

Thanks !

--
Damien Gerard
milipili@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Nothing gives a fearful man more courage than another's fear. " (Umberto Eco)