[openbeos] Re: Developer Edition Vmware Image

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:19:11 -0700

On 06/04/2008, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>  However, just going ahead and doing it because *you* think it is ok, is not
>  what you should do, IHMO. Someone (ie at ACCESS) not very involved with
>  Haiku could completely misunderstand this (your package) as comming from
>  the project itself.

This is the larger problem - it damages the Haiku reputation -
especially if people using it start to believe that those are native
Haiku applications. Haiku has no Serial Connect app (does that even
work in Haiku? Surely the first serial port is currently in use by the
serial debug output)

There's no PackageBuilder (in fact, that should probably just go away
- the last thing we need is people building more proprietary .pkg
files - just because it was reverse-engineered doesn't mean it should
be used in the future. It's not fair to associate that format as the
"standard" for Haiku.)

By including these, you're making Haiku look more complete as an OS
than it really is. This is misrepresenting what Haiku is, and possibly
going to lead to disappointment in the future.

As an example, imagine if someone in the ReactOS community started
packaging older Windows 95/98 apps (Solitaire, Pinball, Wordpad, etc.)
with ReactOS and distributed it - because they worked, and ReactOS
didn't have replacements for them yet. Wow, that would be a disaster.
You're only getting away with this because there's nobody around that
cares to call foul, but that doesn't make it right.