[openbeos] Re: Developer Edition Vmware Image

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:55:28 -0700

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 17:27 -0400, Karl vom Dorff wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>         Karl vom Dorff wrote:
>         > On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Jorge G. Mare
>         <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         >
>         > > Howdy,
>         > >
>         > > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 04:01 +1000, Zenja Solaja wrote:
>         > > > Hi Karl.  Great work with all the haiku images on
>         HaikuWare.
>         > > >
>         > > > May I suggest a few additions to the Developer Edition
>         super pack:
>         > > >
>         > > > 1) Since you are including BeIDE (great), can you also
>         create a
>         > > > directory called /boot/develop/BeIDE/tools, which is in
>         fact a
>         > > > symlink
>         to /boot/develop/tools/gcc-2.95.3-haiku-080323/bin.  This
>         > > > allows BeIDE to build projects.
>         > >
>         > > This is a question to Karl: do you have permission to
>         redistribute
>         > > BeIDE? If you don't, I highly object that you include this
>         or any other
>         > > BeOS IP in the Haiku packages that you are distributing.
>         >
>         >
>         > Right, I'll remove that.  Anything else in there? What about
>         > PackageBuilder, Serial Connect?
>

>         Karl, you could answer this yourself. If you don't have
>         permission from
>         Be/Palm/ACCESS to distribute this, then it is just not legal.
>         The BeOS
>         Personal Edition comes with a clear license that says you can
>         only
>         distribute as is, not changed. Taking parts of it and
>         distributing them
>         would count as "changed" in my book.
>

>         All that being said, ACCESS seems to be pretty liberal and
>         understanding.
>         They gave the BeOS Max guy the green light to do what he does.
>         So maybe all
>         you have to do is simply ask them. Explain what you are doing
>         and I am sure
>         you have quite a good chance of getting permission.
>
>         However, just going ahead and doing it because *you* think it
>         is ok, is not
>         what you should do, IHMO. Someone (ie at ACCESS) not very
>         involved with
>         Haiku could completely misunderstand this (your package) as
>         comming from
>         the project itself.
>
> Thanks for these comments. Perhaps I'll contact Access and see what
> they say. It's probably pretty difficult to program without BeIDE.
>
> Anyways, I've removed the packages in question from both of these
> images as well as applied the other suggestions.

Proprietary and closed-source apps are a dead end. In the long run it
would be better if you looked into the open source and/or actively
developed alternatives. Not only may you find replacements whose source
could potentially be included in Haiku (license permitting and if
needed/desired), but you would also give much deserved encouragement to
those devs doing application development for an emerging platform like
Haiku. A few examples:

* Niue IDE for BeOS/Haiku (http://www.bebits.com/app/4540)
        Developed by Tako Lansbergen (aka "0033")
        Screenshots: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tako0033/Niue/niue2.png
        This is actively developed and open source.

* Various from Jerome Fillon (http://www.softimedia.com)
        SerialTransfert (http://www.bebits.com/app/318)
        BeBuilderEditor (http://www.bebits.com/app/496)
        More from this author: http://www.bebits.com/devprofile/160

I believe SHINTA has also developed a (maybe BeIDE compatible?) IDE for
ZETA, which I understand he plans to migrate to Haiku at some point. Not
sure where that stands now, but it may be good to contact him and ask
(he may be able to crank out a BeOS binary that works in Haiku).

Cheers,

Koki