[openbeos] Re: Developer Edition Vmware Image

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 17:27:15 -0400

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Karl vom Dorff wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Howdy,

> > > This is a question to Karl: do you have permission to redistribute
> > > BeIDE? If you don't, I highly object that you include this or any
> other
> > > BeOS IP in the Haiku packages that you are distributing.
> >

> > Right, I'll remove that.  Anything else in there? What about
> > PackageBuilder, Serial Connect?
>
> Karl, you could answer this yourself. If you don't have permission from
> Be/Palm/ACCESS to distribute this, then it is just not legal. The BeOS
> Personal Edition comes with a clear license that says you can only
> distribute as is, not changed. Taking parts of it and distributing them
> would count as "changed" in my book.

All that being said, ACCESS seems to be pretty liberal and understanding.
> They gave the BeOS Max guy the green light to do what he does. So maybe
> all
> you have to do is simply ask them. Explain what you are doing and I am
> sure
> you have quite a good chance of getting permission.
>
> However, just going ahead and doing it because *you* think it is ok, is
> not
> what you should do, IHMO. Someone (ie at ACCESS) not very involved with
> Haiku could completely misunderstand this (your package) as comming from
> the project itself.

Thanks for these comments. Perhaps I'll contact Access and see what they
say. It's probably pretty difficult to program without BeIDE.

Anyways, I've removed the packages in question from both of these images as
well as applied the other suggestions.

--
Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)