[haiku] Re: Desktop folder disappears from /boot/home

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:36:20 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote:
In any case, I would love to have a decent explanaition on why anyone would want to use single window browsing. I mean, I do understand it's useful for actual "browsing". Only that browsing using the context menus in Haiku is so much more powerful and so much quicker than anything else.

I'm partly with you. :)
Haiku's use of attributes pretty much mandates that every folder remembers which attributes to show and sort by. Single window browsing isn't very useful for that, even if the attribute-layout would change, the window-size doesn't.

Context menu browsing has the same drawback of not showing attributes. Granted, most of the time it's not needed. You just need to get to a location quickly and go from there.

I could imagine that changing single window browsing to open a double clicked folder and automatically close the parent would be enough to give someone the familiar browsing feeling. Sure, the windows would pop up in different locations, but I don't consider this unacceptable.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de