[haiku] Re: Desktop folder disappears from /boot/home

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:36:48 +0000

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Stephan Assmus<superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> In any case, I would love to have a decent explanaition on why anyone would
> want to use single window browsing. I mean, I do understand it's useful for
> actual "browsing". Only that browsing using the context menus in Haiku is
> so much more powerful and so much quicker than anything else. So when
> actual "browsing" is out of the picture, I don't understand why anyone
> would /not/ use the spatial mode.

I'm one of the odd-balls who use both Disks icon & single window browsing.

For the disks icon, it's simple there 10+ partitions on my drive --
several partitions of Haiku installations,  one for compiling random
things, one haiku source code, one for haiku's generated folders, and
so on. separating data like this has minimized losses to BFS
corruption on several occasions.

For single window mode, i simply like it being the default behavior
especially. Having the path visible in the Navigator vs Title bar is
more visually appealing to me as it keeps the tab size to a minimum.
It also allows me to drag and drop the path text. Yes, the small
draggable folder in the upper right corner can be used in some
instances, but not all.

Also, I actually use a mix-mode as i frequently spawn separate Tracker
windows by holding the Option key.

For context menu browsing, i do use and enjoy it, but it gets annoying
when the menus flip-flop between appearing on the left or right side
of the current menu.  eg, starting the context menu browsing on the
right side of the screen and going several directories deep.
currently, as soon as your mouse accidentally falls off the desired
context menu, the position is lost.  I'm not sure what would feel more
natural -- having Tracker continue displaying new context submenus to
the left until space runs out or introducing some falling-off delay.

--mmadia