[haiku] Re: Desktop folder disappears from /boot/home

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:50:10 +0200

Hi,

> I have a problem that i remember also in BeOS, the Desktop folder
> disappears
> from /boot/home but he is watched by the terminal and i can cd into, the
> desktop is well, but i can't cd into it using the tracker, yet i can cd
> into
> a directory contained in the desktop, this is a screenshot :
>
> http://f.imagehost.org/view/0350/desktoproblem
>
> Anywone know this problem?

This is not a "problem" of your installation, but a design decision by the BeOS
engineers. They decided that the user should not see the Desktop folder inside
the home folder, it's hidden on purpose by Tracker. You already see the
contents of the Desktop folder "as the desktop". This has a couple of problems,
because when a couple of desktops are eventually merged from different volumes,
you cannot tell which content is on which volume. This may lead to problems
when making backups for example. Personally, I like the solution in Gnome,
where the Desktop folder is shown as regular folder entry in file listings and
you can CD into it (like in Haiku's file panels), but also show it as a regular
folder window, even if you see the contents twice then.

Best regards,
-Stephan