[haiku] Re: Compiling from source

  • From: Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 02:27:09 -0400

What I'd do is add a virtual harddrive then use jam to install the newly
compiled Haiku directly to that virtual drive.  Then you have a drive image
with just the new Haiku.

More specifically:
Add a new, empty harddisk image to the VM.
In Haiku, use DriveSetup to create a BFS partition on the new drive, and
take note of its location (/dev/disk/...).
Run configure (<http://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building/configure>).
Create a UserBuildConfig that targets the partition you created earlier (<
http://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building/userbuildconfig>).
Run jam, and find something to entertain yourself for a while.
Shutdown and change the VM so it boots from the new image.

If what you meant was to install the newly compiled Haiku onto your real
hardware then the process is a bit different.  The general idea is to create
a disk image with jam, copy that image off the VM, boot from the Alpha CD,
create/mount a new BFS partition, mount the image, copy the contents of the
image to the new partition, and run makebootable on the new partition.