[haiku] Compiling Haiku with Puppy linux 4.2.1

  • From: Scott Kemp <eightbitz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:10:24 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday (with the help of mmadia) I successfully compiled Haiku using Puppy
4.2.1.  A few extra packages not included with puppy had to first be compiled.
There were multiple reasons for myself diverting down the usual Ubuntu road.
My hardware is old and ubuntu didn't contain the wifi drivers I needed.  At
least not on the CD, and wifi is my only connection to the net.  Puppy is also
a low resource distro which helped with my aging hardware (1.7 GHZ 256 MB
dell)  I could "remaster" this distro to include the necessary tools to
download and compile Haiku if desired.  Here is a list of the items I used to
succeed:

Download puppy 4.2.1 from here -
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
Download Devx421..sfs from here -
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/sfs_modules-4/
Download Yasm source from here -
http://www.tortall.net/projects/yasm/wiki/Download
Download Less source from here - http://packages.debian.org/lenny/less
Download Cdrtools beta source from here -
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

If needed/wanted  I could write a step by step instruction for this, or like
I've stated just remaster the cd.

Maybe later today I may install puppy to a thumbdrive, and build on a NTFS or
Fat partition.  Yesterday's experience was on Ext2.