[openbeos] Re: Common file-organisation

  • From: "Matt McMinn" <melfinadev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 01:20:53 -0800

<< snip >>

> >At least some introductory document should be available for every
> project, even
> > - or esp. - in this nascent stage.
> >I talked with Jeff Biss about it, and suggested to use doxygen
> throughout the
> > entire source. That would be a dream for every new member, and
> minimal effort
> > for the author of the code IMO. (of course the OpenBeBook is still
> needed as a
> > readable API-description)
> >A shining example in this regard is the VM-Preferences-app!
>
> Yep, but we need some decent output, and doxygen is not too good in
> that. Ah well, I'll see if I can get something up as an example for
> discussion, but I think it will be pretty difficult to get this going
> in a way we all (or most) will agree on.

I think that one thing we could do is just agree on a standard right
now, some common way of documenting our code, and then during the next
x weeks work on a parser for that commenting system so we can get
output how we want it.  If we're thinking essentially of an
automagically updating OpenBeBook, I don't see a whole lot of problems
with coming up with a very simple program to get the output we want.
The important thing would be to come up with a standard way of
documenting code soon, whatever it is, before we end up 80% completed
with no common documenting system.

I think that a while back there was some talk on the list about an OBOS
documentation group, or something like that - checking the Teams page
on the website doesn't show one, and I don't really think that an
entire team would be needed to come up with a decent system - I'll
volunteer to come up with a document describing syntax, etc if that's
something the group decides we need.

Matt