[openbeos] Re: Coding Guidelines, translations

  • From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:07:25 +0200

Just my 0.02 from being involved in localizing Opera and
Sonork to German. It may be in the interest of OBOS and each
app. developer that his/her app appears in as many languages
as possible. The beauty of having a language file that can
be chosen at runtime is that it spurs foreign localizations
without you necessarily knowing of it or having to be
involved in it.

In Sonork it's just three text files, and believe me, from a
localizator's point of view that method is much more
friendly than a hard-coded ("compiled") version, which you
cannot check without major delays, because if you spot an
error or a line overrun or whatever, you just fix it, reload
the lng. file and presto!

Helmar