[haiku] Re: Clarifying Haiku, Inc.

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:45:03 -0700

Hi William,

William Ove wrote:
<snip>

It was my understanding that it existed for the legal needs of trademarks etc. As a representation of an open source project it like most open source is a powerful or as impotent as it wants to be.

Exactly, and the wider community of contributors that Haiku Inc. responds to should know how powerful or powerless the non-profit is. It really boils dow to this question: is Haiku a project run by the community or is it owned by a few who can make irrevocable decisions behind closed doors? I thought it was the former, but right now I have my doubts (see my last two paragraphs).

I would tend to agree with Mr. Leavengood that most of what it has to do would fall into the category of thankless drudgery.

There are many other areas of the project that are a menial that are being taken care by others. So what? That should not be grounds for a carte blanche to anyone.

The invoking of Haiku INC in an argument seems more a political move on the part of whoever invoked it.

You could say that I invoked it, but I did so not for political reason, but because I have very recently experienced instances of at least one Haiku Inc. member trying to impose an authority that I do not believe they have.

I am an active contributor, and to me it is important to know if these people have any authority and what that exactly is; this could well determine whether I want to continue contributing, or to what extent.

As such I do not see that Haiku INC would be under any obligation to respond to that, or at least publicly respond to it. I can also understand why a person involved in the Haiku project would have an interest in see Haiku INC's by-laws and information readily available. It does seem however that New York does not specifically require that the information be public.

It is not about the law; it is about making the rules of the game crystal clear, so that there is no room for misinterpretation or misuse of authority over community members and/or initiatives (as happened recently).

So, sure, there may be no logal obligation; but still, the apparent reluctance to do something as simple as this on the part of Haiku Inc. is both worrisome and quite uninspiring (and I am being diplomatic here).

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki