[openbeos] Re: Call for FOCUS

  • From: "Justin: Rotating Pies!" <polchlop@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:47:14 -0600 (MDT)

I am in full agreement that we need to break up this forum.  In the manner
that Be's mailing list were broken up for the developers.  BeCodeTalk and
BeDevTalk both had clear purpose and you could much more easily filter out
the noise.

However, we are hardly at a stage where this breakup is a good idea.  The
things that we are talking about are important at this stage.  There are
fundamental questions that need to be answered before we can hit the
ground running.

As far as I'm concerned, this talk of open or closed is useless.  We spend
all our time debating how Palm will handle things.  /This is out of our
control/.  So let's talk about the things that we _can_ control.

1. Source vs Binary compatibility
2. NewOS compatibility issues
3. Plan of attack

In my opinion, it's time to get everyone a copy of the most recent NewOS
build and see what hardware works and what doesn't so we can help Travis
get the kernel booting.  We need to build up the tools that we'll use to
write OpenBe.  We need to hack on the kernel so we can start using it as
our development environment.  Then we can talk about delegating work to
get openBe to comply to Be (in one way or another).

I say we leave the politicking to the politicians and get to what we
know: hacking out code.

Who's with me?

-Justin
(trying to keep us all united)