[openbeos] Re: Calculator

  • From: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:06:59 -0400

Or even a nice pretty-printer. :))
I don't really know why we should have this real-world interface. Can't we only
have buttons for special functions like square-root, raised-to, sin, cos, tan,
ln, e? Well, maybe also +,-,*,/. But who needs numbers if the normal keyboard
has them?
BTW, "," and "." should have the same meaning ("2,3" = "2.3"). This is the most
annoying "bug" in (simple) text-based calculators.
There's something to be said about metaphors, like having all the buttons in a way that resembles a real-world calculator. Most people will expect a calculator that looks and acts like one that you're used to. A programmer would feel very comfortable with just a text box and an 'Evaluate' button, but my mother-in-law wouldn't have a clue. This should be an app with a zero learning curve for anyone remotely familiar with a calculator. The buttons really do need to stay. Having a choice of modes, like Stephan mentioned, could be a workable compromise.

Having a calculator based on an expression parser is actually easier than a regular calculator because the user can immediately see what will happen before hitting '=' - the user is not required to remember the calculator's state at each press of a function button. Regular calculators don't allow for this and if you make a mistake, it makes you wonder whether hitting the clear button cleared out the entry or the entire calculation.

--DarkWyrm