[openbeos] Re: Building on Linux

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:34:01 +0200

On 2006-06-14 at 17:31:22 [+0200], Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 2006-06-14 at 15:10:44 [+0200], Andrew Galante <haiku.galante@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I'm having some trouble building the Haiku build tools on Linux.  I've
> > checked out the buildtools from subversion, and followed the instructions
> > in
> > INSTALL-as-cross-compiler-on-LINUX up until make cross:
> [ 8< ]
> >
> > I've tried this on a regular i686 with the same result.
> >
> > Can anyone give me some pointers where to go?  Is this a bug in the
> > buildtools?
>
> No, I think it's a bug in the docs >;o)
>
> I suppose the documentation has not been adjusted to the fact that Ingo has
> moved the legacy buildtools into the 'legacy' folder, such that the main
> folder contains gcc-4 while gcc-2.95.3 lives in legacy.
> Unless I'm mistaken, you can follow the docs, but take care to execute the
> stuff in the legacy folder. This should build gcc-2.95.3 as a
> cross-compiler,
> which is what you will need if you want to execute the resulting binaries on
> x86.
> The other (upper) gcc folder that contains gcc-4 is currently only intended
> for PPC builds (Ingo, please correct me if needed). We should make this a
> bit
> clearer I suppose, at least in the docs, but maybe in the repository
> hierarchy, too.

Yep, I've never updated the docs within the buildtools folder. The ReadMe in
the haiku module is up to date though, and letting the configure script build
the cross tools is easier anyway.

Regarding gcc4, it should work for both x86 and PPC builds. In case of x86
the resulting Haiku installation will just not be binary compatible with BeOS
R5.

CU, Ingo