[openbeos] Re: Building on Linux

On 2006-06-14 at 15:10:44 [+0200], Andrew Galante <haiku.galante@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I'm having some trouble building the Haiku build tools on Linux.  I've
> checked out the buildtools from subversion, and followed the instructions in
> INSTALL-as-cross-compiler-on-LINUX up until make cross:
[ 8< ]

> I've tried this on a regular i686 with the same result.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers where to go?  Is this a bug in the
> buildtools?

No, I think it's a bug in the docs >;o)

I suppose the documentation has not been adjusted to the fact that Ingo has
moved the legacy buildtools into the 'legacy' folder, such that the main
folder contains gcc-4 while gcc-2.95.3 lives in legacy.
Unless I'm mistaken, you can follow the docs, but take care to execute the
stuff in the legacy folder. This should build gcc-2.95.3 as a cross-compiler,
which is what you will need if you want to execute the resulting binaries on
x86.
The other (upper) gcc folder that contains gcc-4 is currently only intended
for PPC builds (Ingo, please correct me if needed). We should make this a bit
clearer I suppose, at least in the docs, but maybe in the repository
hierarchy, too.

Hope that helps.

cheers,
        Oliver