[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:38:09 +0100

Hi Donovan,

Donovan Schulteis wrote:
> My question... can you run makebootable from it?!?!
>
> I can compile Haiku into an image file from within Ubuntu, transfer that
> image with dd to a partition, but cannot boot the SATA drive with any
> form of BeOS/Zeta/Haiku to make it bootable to see if Haiku is even
> compatible with my hardware outside of a VM.  Would be nice to have an
> easy way for those to try it on a partition that resides on a SATA drive.
>  And because VMs mount other partitions as SCSI, I haven't been able to
> use a VM to make a partition bootable.  (if anyone has any tips on this,
> I can't find them on the Haiku site)
>
> If I could boot Haiku on the computers I use most (both have SATA
> drives), I might be able to motivate myself into becoming more involved
> in the community again.  ;)

Additionally to what Andreas said, please check out these instructions:

<http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/getting_the_source_code>

<http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/installing_haiku_via_linux_and_grub#comment-3235>

There is a wealth of information in the comments too. Here is another
trick, put this into your .bashrc (Ubuntu) or .profile:

alias haiku="sudo chmod o+rw /dev/sda;sudo chmod o+rw /dev/sda6;cd
/home/stippi/haiku/haiku"

This is my UserBuildConfig:

HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR = /dev ;
HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME = sda6 ;
HAIKU_DONT_CLEAR_IMAGE = 1 ;

Using these settings, especially to enable read/write support on the drive
and partition for regular users, I can just use "jam -q haiku-image" and it
will install Haiku including writing the correct partition offset for the
boot code all in one go. Please do make sure you modify this for your
setup, ie the correct drive and partition. ;-)

Best regards,
-Stephan