[openbeos] Re: Binutils-2.17 available

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:25:57 +0100

On 2007-02-22 at 19:09:37 [+0100], Brian Verre <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Open team question:
>
> Given that the GCC 4.0 branch has been frozen (development work on 4.1+
> only) why not bring the haiku GCC4 compiler up to the 4.0.4 final
> status, and update binutils up to current 2.17? Sounds worthwhile to
> me...

I've already downloaded the gcc 4.1.2 sources and will update the version
in our repository as soon as I can gather enough motivation to do it. I
don't really see the advantage of updating to 4.0.4 only.

> It would seem to me that that the consistancy across haiku GCC branches
> would help debugging, and keep haiku ontrack for GCC 4.x compatibility
> down the road.
>
> Who is actively building haiku with GCC4 and patching/rewriting
> incompatible code?

I usually build a gcc4 haiku image every few weeks, and I believe others do
that more often. There's isn't really much work involved in keeping the
image building with gcc4. Incompatibilities mainly arise from C++ code
using STL features, obsolete headers, or missing the std namespace. The
required changes are usually very small.

CU, Ingo