[haiku] Re: BePDF documentation

  • From: "Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 02:44:50 GMT

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This newish Q6600 system draws 160 watts (AC)
> > constantly under R5
> You do mean Haiku, right?

Haiku R5? That would be great =P

I'm using BeOS R5 on this system until Haiku is at the stage of
total stability and approx. feature parity (seemingly not too long
now?)

Although I've not tested Haiku direct-to-hardware on this particular
machine, I suspect it'd bring about some worthwhile power savings.
For some reason, R5's idle loop draws the absolute maximum amount
of power that the CPU is specified to draw -- even more than
cpu_burn, and about 25% more power than a for(;;); loop for each
CPU compiled with no optimization. That was also the case on my
previous Athlon system, which makes me wonder what on earth it's
doing to get the maximum power dissipation from two totally different
architectures!

Still, even if the power could be reduced to 20% with various
halt and clock reduction techniques, the rest of the system still
draws a fair chunk of power.
Unplugging it from the mains when not in use compares quite
favourably, with an infinity:1 reduction in power usage achievable.
And no ACPI bytecode parser is required!

> I suppose virtual memory and the page file mechanism
> could be extended to actually save pages continously,
> eventually covering all pages. Perhaps aided by some
> kind of checkpoint API.

Any idea how Firefox manages it? Although sometimes it restores
to a point several minutes in the past, most of the time it has
quite a fine resolution; even restoring down to the last word
typed in a form before the interruption.
It can be such a convenience that I sometimes find myself
force-killing the app to take advantage of the restore-on-restart
feature!

> One might want to use a separate dedicated disk for
> this purpose.

Hmm, I suppose this is a particular concern for users of Flash-based
hard disks. A shame, since they usually crop up in laptops, and
that's one application where seamless restore would be extremely
valuable.