[haiku] Re: BePDF documentation

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:17:34 +0000

Humdinger wrote:

>So, the question I'd like to put forward is, do we
>a) keep the PDF format?
>a1) keep the "source" in Gobe format?
>a2) convert the "source" to OpenOffice so it's editable for everyone, just not (yet?) under Haiku?
>b) scrap the PDF and go XHTML like the rest of the docu?
>c) have a better idea?
>The main problem with going HTML is the slooow startup of our default Firefox. >Is NetSurf far along enough to be Haiku's fast docu viewer (maybe even as a further stripped down version)?

a) For output it's fine, for source no.
a1) No.
a2) No (see below).
b) Yes.
c) No.

I'd keep the document *source* in XHTML.

XHTML being XML based is both human and machine readable. It can also be edited in anything - you don't need a special editor for it. XHTML is also based on strict rules, this makes it easier to check for format errors and to convert to other formats.

At work we use a dedicated app for documentation and it produces XML. We then take that and convert it into html and pdf.

Why not use Open Office?

Well for a start it's not usable on Haiku, making it of rather limited use...

If you plan on producing a big PDF I expect you'll run into a lot of problems with a word processor. They are not designed for big documents and are generally not up to the job - MS Word certainly isn't.

I've never been a big fan of OO, I don't know about more recent versions but it used to be slow and had an absolutely colossal memory footprint, I can't even begin to comprehend why a word processor would require 200MB of RAM. I can remember back to when it used to take 5 minutes just to start - yes, it really was that slow.

As for Gobe, If you try to edit a big doc you'll soon find the problem that it crashes with large docs (Gobe themselves confirmed this to me when I reported it - quite some time ago...).

Anyway just my er 0.2 cents (the pound isn't doing so well these days).

BTW if you haven't see it:

There's a few more names on the pics now, if you want to know who's doing Haiku you'll see several of them on the very last picture on page 6.

Nicholas Blachford
"Does it give loads of powaa for little wonga and overclock like a mutha?" - dizietsma