[openbeos] Re: BeBook license

> The Be Book is copyrighted, but I really don't
> have a clue what that means or permits us.

That means that the copyright holder determines who may do what with the
BeBook. The copyright holder in this case is presumably Palm.

I could not find any mention in the BeBook itself what the terms of
usage (as determined by the copyright holder) are. Most likely, anyone
is allowed to read the BeBook, but not much else. This means you are
probably not allowed to distribute the BeBook, copy&paste (large
sections) from it, make changes to it, or even translate it. The license
agreement as displayed by the BeOS installer has more information about
this.

On the other hand, it is unlikely that Palm (or whomever is the
copyright holder) will ever cause you any trouble when you do take parts
of the BeBook documentation and use them for the OpenBeOS docs. (There
is also something called "fair use", which typically means that you can
take small bits from the original work and use them in your own work,
without acquiring permission first.)

-Matthijs