From: Erik Jakowatz
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 7:30 PM
Subject: [openbeos] Re: BString

>Where in the BeBook does it say BStrings are for text only?
>If it is for text only, how will it handle UNICODE without zeros?

To quote The Book:

"Currently, BString only supports assignment and retrieval of strings
that contain single-byte characters. If you want to use BString to store
a string that contains multi-byte (UTF8) characters, you have to flatten
the string yourself and adjust the character count arguments
accordingly."

Not sure what is meant by "flatten the string", but given this statement
plus the fact that *only* UTF-8 is mentioned leads me to think that
BString should be thought of as *not* supporting NULL characters
anywhere in the data.  Certainly, there is no place where the docs
explicitely state that "BStrings are for text only", but I think it's
reasonable to assume that the authors were implicitely acting as though
they were -- I don't think I've ever heard of the terminology "string"
used to describe anything other than text data.

>and it made my code a mess compared to the BString version which worked
>90% of the time but failed 10% because it is undocumented about how
>zero bytes affect BStrings.

I think it's undocumented because the class wasn't intended to deal with
NULL characters randomly embedded in the text data.  Seems to me that
BString is intended to be a light-weight string class that provides the
most common string operations, and not an end-all-be-all solution like
basic_string attempts to be.

Not looking to open a debate on basic_string, ;)

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams