[openbeos] Re: BFS status update

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:16:29 CEST (+0200)

> Axel wrote:
> > I am sure there are many small issues like a not updated last
> > modified time, not respected permissions, etc. - these don't harm
> > your data, but may be big security holes, or could produce problems
> > of all kind.
> That's kind of interesting.  First off, I think the "real" BFS only
> supports
> creation time and doesn't update modification time, isn't that right?

No, it maintains creation time and last modification time - it does not
support the last access time, though. And only the last modified time
is indexed.

> Secondly, I *know* it doesn't respect user permissions, since BeOS
> doesn't
> support users at all.  How are you guys supporting this?

BFS respects user permissions, not only according to Dominic's book,
but also with real world tests - there is a "multiuser" application
available with which you can execute commands with another user ID; you
will see that you can't change or delete or even read files according
to the permissions.
It's only that you're probably always the root user in BeOS which lets
you think it wouldn't support this stuff.

Adios...
   Axel.