[openbeos] Announcing rc, the resource compiler

Hi all,

I'm glad to announce version 1.0 of "rc", our own resource compiler.
A resource compiler is a command-line tool that takes a text-based
"resource script" and turns it into a .rsrc file. Resources are
special data chunks such are icons, pictures, and sounds that are
embedded in applications. If you use a resource compiler, you no
longer need GUI tools to create your resources.

rc is an open source replacement (and enhancement) of Be's
experimental "beres" and "deres" tools. As a result, it should be
able to compile the majority of rdef scripts currently out there.
There are some differences between rc and beres, but these are only
minor.

I wrote rc with the intention of using it on the OpenBeOS source
itself, so we can replace all our .rsrc files with .rdef scripts.
The big advantage of this is that it works much better with CVS,
since rdef scripts are ASCII files and .rsrc files are binary.
Although it is already possible to replace the .rsrc files, it is
not very convenient yet. A future version of the compiler will make
this much easier, so I suggest we wait until then. Of course, there
is nothing stopping you from using rc now (except the lack of a
proper Jam rule).

The source code is checked into the OpenBeOS CVS repository at:
/current/src/tools/rc

You can also download a pre-compiled package here:
<http://www.openbeos.org/samples/rc-1_0.zip>

This is only the first version of the compiler and several new
features are already planned. All comments, suggestions, and bug
reports are welcome. So, if rc chokes on one of your scripts, please
let me know ;-)

Matthijs