[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 05:33:00 CEST (+0200)

François wrote:
> This has to do with session managment... Problem is it has to be
> taken care
> of by every app. Tracker does it for example (only for bfs folders
> btw),

That's not correct; Tracker does it for every folder, not only BFS
folders - the problem is that Tracker mounts all volumes on startup and
only the boot device is present (which happens to be a BFS disk) when
this mechanism starts; that's a bit unfortunate, but if someone has a
clean idea on how to solve this... :-)

> Opera does so too (except it doesn't start itself at startup).
> What can be done by the shutdown command is list every app running at
> stop
> time, and try to restart them... but it can bring some problems, as
> rerunning
> apps we don't know about can be harmful.
> BeOS already broadcast a shutdown message btw, what could be done is
> apps
> that want to be restarted on next boot should reply to this message
> with a flag saying this.

Something like this would be possible to do; like the
deskbar_item_enabled attribute, something that says: this application
wants to be restarted in case it was running on shutdown.
But session management should really be application specific and easily
to go around (since at least I wouldn't want to have this feature
everywhere and everytime).

Adios...
   Axel.