[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 22:07:15 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Clay Vincent Schentrup <cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >SPACE bar, boot options, failsafe mode...
> >But yeah this can be annoying. That's why I suggest we restart only
> those apps
> >we know want to be restarted.
>      I don't know why the app should get to decide whether it gets to be
>
> restarted.  If the goal is to give the user the option to come right
> back the
> point where he left off, then it shouldn't be a choice.  Also it is
> ridiculous
> to worry about running malicious apps on reboot; hello--they were
> already
> running on shutdown. ;p

Here it's not about malicious apps, only about the fact that only the
app _itself_ knows how it could get where it was, since it depends on the
context, what the app is, what files it has opened, ...

Here we could use BMessages maybe, so on the shutdown messages, the app
would "dehydrate" itself, shutdown would save this in ~/config/lastsession
and on boot all apps that told wanted to restart would be rehydrated.

> >(what if you are running some installer that begins to format a
> partition ?
> >you just finished installing, edited your settings, and you shutdown
> without
> >closing it... you reboot, and oops, the installer runs again,
> reformating you
> >partition =))) That is blatant, but who knows :)
>      No, it should restart exactly where you left it.  Ya know how
> it..gulp..XP, you can log another person in, and the person who was
> already
> logged in can come right back to his login with everything up and
> running?
> Okay, now picture doing that after rebooting.  Smart idea to me.

this is *way* harder
The XP thing is just that it lets the apps running, no hard thing here,
you can do the same on UNIX, just switching from X server 0 to X server 1
(CTRL-ALT-F8 / CTRL-ALT-F7)

Of course using ACPI features like save to disk would make it easier :^)

François.