[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:12:13 CDT

[snip-snip]
>Anyhow, my questions to the OpenBeOS community are:
>
>Does anyone else here card about these issues?

I card (I mean, "care")
;-)

>Is the BeOS 5.0.3 implementation of addons good enough for OpenBeOS
R1?

Well, we have to keep the same interface for drivers etc., as that is
our goal. Of course, we can (and will) play with the internal details
(how it hooks up to the kernel) all we want, but the interface to
drivers and third party stuff needs to follow 5.0.3 standards. Those
standards seem plenty good enough to me (not that I am an expert on
these matters).

>Doesn't everybody here want a kernel that blows Linux out of the water
>(excluding drivers which must come from 3rd parties)?

Sure. But what I mostly want is a kernel that works and gets finished
before we all drop from exhaustion! Actually, I think that Travis has
already delivered the basics of a truly kick ass kernel. We just need
to make it R5-friendly and finish it up.